On a lovely sunny day, eight members enjoyed a cycle ride out to visit Ellerton Church via Elvington, Sutton upon Derwent, Storwood and East Cottingwith.
After lunch we made an extended ride to visit All Saints Church in Aughton. The church is reached through a gate at the west end of the village then via a track that goes between the moated site of the Askes’ manor house and the earthworks of a motte-and-bailey castle.
More information about the church can found on their website http://www.aughtonchurch.co.uk/index.htm
Moving on to St Mary Church at Ellerton where we were met by Ann Sotheran (Treasurer of the Ellerton Church Preservation Trust)
The church stands at the west end of the village overlooking the Derwent Ings. An early work of the celebrated Victorian architect J. L. Pearson. Built in 1846-8 it replaced a remnant of the church of a Gilbertine priory. Redundant but cared for since 1995 by the Ellerton Church Preservation Trust.
More information can be found on their website http://www.ellertonpriory.co.uk/
The ride to Ellerton Church was of particular relevance to two of our members – John and Margaret Eastwood. They were married here in 1969.
A couple of forthcoming events to be held in Ellerton Church
Many thanks to Alan Briers and John Eastwood for organising and leading the ride of 27 miles. Also a special thanks to Andy and Lynne Hunter (Margaret’s brother and sister in law) for their hospitality on our lunch stop and to Ann Sotheran for her very interesting insight into Ellerton Church.